From the far left to the far right, from the very top to the very bottom, there is plenty enough blame to go around. Still, many of my conservative friends are certain that our current president is to blame, and many of my liberal friends are certain his predecessor is to blame. These are highly-educated, mature adults who have been successfully manipulated to fight against each other in a no-win battle. Neither side can see that they have been duped, and that the ongoing, reprehensible feuding on both sides is counterproductive and damaging to our nation.
The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it. The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating appropriations and taxes...
The speaker of the House... is the leader of the majority party. He and his fellow partisans, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetos it, they can pass it over his veto."
- Have republicans or democrats been in control of the presidency for the past 6 years? The past 20 years?
- Have republicans or democrats been in control of congress for the past 6 years? The past 20 years?
- How many taxpayer dollars have been spent on social programs over the past 6 years (not counting Social Security or Medicare)? 20 years? Under whose watch?
- How many taxpayer dollars have been spent on the Iraq war over the past 6 years? Under whose watch?
- How many taxpayer dollars have been spent on the Afghanistan war over the past 6 years? Under whose watch?
- How many taxpayer dollars (at current values) were spent on the Vietnam war? Desert Storm? Korea? WWII? Under whose watch?
- Who is responsible for our tax codes?
- What percentage of our taxes are paid by the top 5% income bracket in our nation?
- What percentage of taxes are paid by the lower 50% of income brackets in our nation?
- Who is responsible for our nation's social programs?
- What is the average income (including non-monetary benefits) of an illegal alien with 3 kids in the US? 4 kids? Claiming asylum?
- How many of our 10th amendment rights have we surrendered in the past 6 years through agency rulemaking and congressional back-room deals? The past 20 years? Under whose watch?
- Who is responsible for our government bureacracy?
- How many federal government departments and agencies are currently in existence? What are they producing or providing? At what cost?